badly balanced stage

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by deadz67, Oct 1, 2009.

1. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

Habs RULE!!
    Sorry, i had to get that out. Anyway, i`ve put my system in that I`ve wanted to put together for a year now, & I am discouraged.It is all MTX with a 2 channel running the front & a D mono running my 12 in a custom sealed in the hatchback. My problem is the 6x8`s in the rear overpower my 6.5 door speakers, & since my 2 channel has all 4 speakers in it on high pass, i have no mid bass so sounds trebly from the rear.
    What should i do?

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Wait. you have your 6x8's in the rear on the amp? you may want to put the fader more to the front then so your front speakers will be louder.. In most cases using rearfill will throw off the sound stage like it's done with you. You want to make it like the music/band is playing in front of you. you could also cut down the gain on the amp for the rears as well.

What do you have the fronts crossed over at? have you tried playing with the amp crossover to see if they can really handle a lower crossover point?

3. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

since it is only a 2 channel amp,both front & rear speaker are wired together on each side so there is no fader control(except for the sub control)
    I don`t understand what you mean for the crossover on the amp since it is only a low pass or high pass switch. Can i add a crossover for the rear speakers to hit lower only?

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

you put 4 speakers on 2 channels? i would take the rear speakers off the amp and power them with the head unit. concentrate on bringing out your front stage...

what kinda amp do you have for the speakers up front? got a link? it only has LP and HP? no crossover settings? what kind of deck do you have? i'm sure the deck has crossover settings on it.

5. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

6. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

or... you could run the rears to the right/left channel then run the fronts to the opposite. if you wanted to keep them bot amped then use the balance. But, i would do what CC suggested and run the rears off the deck and run the fronts off the amp.

7. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

OR!!!!....... if you want you can do two things. run the rear speakers @ 8 ohms bridged off the amp and keep the front speakers running @ 4 ohm stereo. your amp can handle that.

or the other choice is to run the rears out of phase of each other. that might help your staging some...maybe. either one would only take a min or two to change.

these two are old school tricks i used to do in my old truck.

let me know how it works for you. you could alwways just run the rear off the head unit power too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  8. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

i don`t understand what you mean by out of phase, but if i bridge the rears @ 8 ohms, they would become mono i believe, correct?
    Would i just put these in the same slots as the fronts or would i have fab some sort of separate board to attach them to? This would`t help my midbass problem either right?
    As far as crossing sides from front to rear, i accidentally did this before & found it muddled sounding, almost mono , in my opinion.
    Anyway, thanks to all for all the input,much appreciated.

9. pedro quiroga

ok for the rears to be out of phase just reverse the pos and neg of one of the rear speakers.

to run the rears at 8 ohms bridged get a pos from one rear and a neg from the other. connect the remaining 2 together. your left with a pos and a neg, )one from each speaker.) @ 8 ohms. you just wired them in series.

10. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

i ran the rears off the deck amp with my fronts on the RTP202. This allowed me to fade front to rear & reduce the rear volume which moved the stage forward.it sounds much better, by the way the amp is only 45 watts RMS / side @ 4 ohms so i was misinforming you on this. The HU is 20 RMS/channel.
    thanks for the useful info,
    i`ll try to get some pics soon.

11. pedro quiroga

my front stage amps are only 50 X 2 each, but i have 2 of them.