Awww, How Cute

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by luvdeftonz, Oct 13, 2004.

1. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Now we get a 4.5" xbl² driver thrown into the mix. Makes some of you line array fans salivate :) I wonder how much longer the "lifestyle" home audio manufacturers go before they start using these very affordable units in HTIB's. Anywho, looks cool....and insanely affordable :)

Oh, link:

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR125S

2. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Damn!

Seeing those almost makes me want to get a pair and do an active 3 way with my extremis 6's. Well, when they get here anyway.

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I've been debating whether to get them or not.... I mean...$50 CAD off the regular price....

4. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

"Regular price US$69, C$89 each; pre-order special US$99, C$129 a pair plus shipping. Pre-order ends October 25th; delivery late October or early November."
    Is it just me, or is the pre-order 'special' price actually MORE than the regular price? Is that a typo somehow?

-Austin

5. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

From what I gather, it's U.S. price is $69 each or $99 for a pair. Canadian price is $89 each or $129 for a pair. With none of those prices being the actual price after pre-order is over. Here are the specs I copied from the PDF, which was "printed" Sept. 30.

In a 7 liter cabinet:

Fs: 68
    Qes: .77
    Qms: 3.85
    Vas: 5.8 liters
    Sd: 57 cm²
    Xmax: 6 mm (wow, that's a lot out of such a small driver!)
    Re: 7 ohms
    Le: .32 mH
    BL: 4.01 N/A
    Mms: 4.3 grams
    SPL: 85.6 dB 1W/1M

It looks to be pretty good down to about 100-125 hz...which is where cabin gain starts in my truck. It should actually make a pretty good mid/midrange/almost tweeter (drops off pretty quickly after 10-12k). At 4.5", it should also be pretty darn easy to work with in a space constricted vehicle install. All the benefits of a kickpanel install (like speaker aiming, for example) while still maintaining a door install. This little bugger has me a lil' giddy :love:

The rest of the drivers info, and a few graphs are Right Here

6. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

7. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Good Lord!

8. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Regular price is US$69, C$89 each

Pre-order special is US$99, C$129 a pair

so it's US$49.50 each and C$64.50 each

9. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

i'm confused... what's the relation between Creative Sound Solutions, and Adire Audio???

10. Steven Kephart

Creative Sound Solutions is one of our OEM's. A lot of our business is design work for other companies, including some of the really large ones.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

11. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

so the speaker is an adire design then? just made by someone else?

12. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

That's it, Joel. Adire designs drivers for various companies (both xbl based and otherwise) but the other company still stamps their name on it. Generally, I would think, the company lists a set of criteria and Adire designs accordingly.

13. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

so what all companies feature adire designed xbl^2 drivers??

14. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

So what do you think Steven? Spring for these 4"ers and have something to play with now - or wait to save up for the Kit51s?

15. Steven Kephart

Tough call. The Kit 51's definitely have a better higher frequency response, especially off axis. But then the 4's seem to have more low end and of course use XBL^2.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

16. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Steven.

You should talk Dan into making a 6.5" brahma. upper 20's xmax. Make it a midbass though. it' has to handle about 500 watts. I'll take mine in a 2 ohm version. Or dual 4 or whatever. Don't matter.

That oughta be enough midbass to make it seem like somebody is punching you in the leg.

Whoops, did I say that out loud? My bad. Nevermind my mindless babbling. :ph34r:

17. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

More low end? I guess that's a function of the XBL^2, considering the 5"er has a tad more displacement...

The kit51 is double the price of the two 4"ers.

hmmm

18. Steven Kephart

I'm just going based on a/b listening tests. The 4's seemed to have more low end than the Kit 51's. The extra cost of the Kit 51's is the extra speakers and crossovers. The 4's will will great by themselves, but only in certain applications. I'm planning on using them as my rear fill in my home theater.

You could try the 4's for now and see what you think, then maybe down the road buy some tweeters and have Dan build you a crossover. I'm not sure what his fees are for this, but I can guarantee you they will sound great when done.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

19. Steven Kephart

By the way, what's your e-mail addy? If you don't want it public, just e-mail me at skephart@adireaudio.com.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

20. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Just want something to play with... and use as my computer speakers, so it'll be nearfield operation... off-axis response won't be too much of an issue, I think. I'd probably just stay with using them as a fullrange unit...

I was gonna ask if i got the kit51s, if there was any tweaks on the crossover I'd need to do to make it better for near-field use...

Email:
    galen26 at hotmail dot com