Audible Difference In Wire

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Check out this conversation I'm having. In it, I claimed that I was told by Dan Wiggins that anything larger than 16 awg wire for even subs is not needed. Here was a reply to this:

"one sales ploy I was taught at the store I used to work at (the big box) was rather simple. Take two identical home audio speakers with 8" or 10" drivers and hook them up to the speaker A and B ouputs of a good quality amp (we used Harman Kardon). One set of speakers was wired with 16 gauge and the other was wired in 12 gauge. Guess how many people bought the speaker that sounded better because it had better bass response. Imagine the customers surprise when we told them the speakers were the same model and the same price and the difference was a good speaker wire."

Now I did the math and found out that there is .02 ohms in 5 feet of 16 awg wire. I just can't see that being an audible difference. But then he claims that his experiment is reproducable. Is it more likely that the difference is caused by something else becides the wire? My guess is that the amplifier produces a little more power to channel A than channel B.

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

...OR this guy is just looking for a gullible audience where he can receive a few strokes... ;)
    Not that I think that there are any car audio shop saleskids out there who want to sound like they know something in front of someone, where the actual knowledge is mostly optional... :lol:

Seriously though, usually bullshit posts are pretty easy to spot...
    Look here:
    "...the one sales ploy I was taught at the store I used to work at (the big box) was rather simple.
    ...Guess how many people bought the speaker that sounded better because it had better bass response."

Keywords: Sales ploy

How is this a sales ploy?
    Seriously...
    It's the same speaker in both cases. :detective:

Hmm...
    Might make sense as more of a wire sales ploy, but that shop's a drawer with a few sharp knives missing from the set if that's their sales ploy for selling speakers, as the author claimed... :p

And that would only be if the claims that he made had any merit, as far as actually hearing an audible difference.. much less a repeatable one. ;)
    Can you even know that this guy has the credentials (small as they may be) that he claims?

I've said it before...
    No doubt I'll end up saying it again..
    You can't believe everything anyone says -
    Especially when you are dealing with people hiding behind the potentially Oz-like screen of cyberspace... B)

He might be a Imposter, or maybe a Ferrous Cranious, or I suspect a Profundus Maximus.
    Hopefully he's not a Tireless Rebutter.
    :boxing:

3. Steven Kephart

This discussion on that thread has gone much farther actually. I have read his posts in other topics, and I have pretty much agreed with him on everything else. It is just this one thing that I don't agree with. Well that and possibly his position that you should run your ground wire to the battery instead of the chassis. But that one I really haven't taken a position on. But anyway, read our discussion. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

And thanks for the laugh. Those are great "personalities". Although I fear I may be somewhat of a "Tireless Rebutter" sometimes. :unsure:

BTW, that site has some great tech info. This includes access to free vehicle wiring diagrams for alarms. :detective:

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

lol..

I actually signed up, and replied to his original post, before realizing there was a 2nd page.

I think I actually touched on some of those things you didn't mention.. ;)

...in my usual highly concise fashion, of course. :lol:

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Don't forget
    There's a difference between AC and DC...

power you're supplying to the amp = DC
    power you're supplying to the speakers = AC

and to add to the counter of his claim that higher
    strand count is needed... here's an article on the
    skin effect

6. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

ah yes, the skin effect......

seth's mom and I witness that a lot.......

or....ohh......that skin effect.....

Remember, that's a product of the presence of higher power, when heat comes

into play. The final effect is of course a slightly clipped signal. I mean, I can buy it that

larger speaker wire can cause less distortion, because that is overall fact, but when

we're speaking of normal listening levels, or when the wire is suffering no

obtricities, I really dont think it's audible, unless we're speaking of the psycho-ward

audiophiles who claim that they can tell a difference between 89% copper wire

and 89.5% copper wire.........

Jeff

7. Steven Kephart

Wow Chris, you are my hero. Thanks for the help.

8. Steven Kephart

You can't? :eek:

9. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

bah...

"I can hear 0.5% distortion, especially when I bridge my amp"

10. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

You can't? :eek: [/b][/quote]
    bah

be off with you, normie!!

By the way, who said I wasn't a pyschoward audiophile? ;)

I swear I piss people off all the time the way I talk about audio equipment.

Especially girls. It like gets under their skin.

Jeff

11. Steven Kephart

Wow, forbidden got a little pissy after reading geolemon's comments. :huh:

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hmm..
    I haven't been back today.

Have to go check that out later...

13. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Alright... I replied. B)

So what if I did more preaching than Rev. Jesse Jackson? :oops:

Still a good post though, I think... :starwars:
    in that I can't wait to see what he comes back with... :gunsmilie:
    :boxing:

14. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

geez... how long does it take to think and write
    up such long posts?

lol

too much time on your hands.... get back to work
    on the speakers! :D

15. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Holy mother of Christ, Geo!!! That was a freaking awesome, thorough, and altogether well written response/post. Man, I thought your replies on CAF were humongous and, well written, but that one takes the cake B)

"Wire" will forever be argued in the circles of car/home audio. Wire = 95% marketing, 5% substance.

:ss:

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yeah, pissing me off is just one way to get me motivated... :crutch:

lol... :lol: