Any New News As Far As The "sub King"

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MJE, Feb 24, 2004.

1. MJE

MJE Full Member

Hey guys long time no talk...anyways just figured id drain your brains on the latest and greatest sub you can get that will ofcourse slam while being the ultimate SQ sub...

anything surpassed my w7s by a noticeable difference?

-Mike

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Adire Brahma MKII

Adire Parthenon (80 MM of linear Xmax)

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

adire, whos that???????

:p

4. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Yeah, I agree that the Parthanon surpassed the W7 by a very large distance. It has more displacement than 12 Tumults. :blink:

Here's a direct quote from Adire's page: "At the 2004 CES we showed a 24" square baffle unit, with a Qts of 0.72 and an Fs of 7 Hz. Flat anechoic response to 6 Hz. And capable of over 66 liters of linear air displacement! That generates reference level (121 dB SPL) output at 20 Hz, when sitting naked in a room - no room gain, no baffle, no box required. The first true dipole driver (not sub - no baffle, remember!) that can do reference outputs. With flat output to the single digits. How's that for a driver?"

And here's the link.

5. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Surpassed it in sound quality or in linear x-max? Stephen, you know as well as I that there is much more to sound quality than x-max... most notably cone material and shape, spider material, inductance and a whole set of other things....

Im not bashing it by any means... heck I think its probably the coolest motor ever devised, and it has HUGE potential. But its hard for me to swallow people evening being able to classify the sound quality of a bare motor (you specify the spider and cone I do believe right?) when SOOOOO much non motor related stuff is part of sound quality.

As far as linear x-max.... that is just crazy amounts, but again.... when will you ever even pass the linear x-max of the W7 or other major "supersubs"?? With 4 kW at 10 Hz?.... hehe maybe this deserves its own thread... :lol:

Back on topic.... I dont think much has changed as far as the king of subs is recently. W7, Brahma.... MTX is making all kindsa of claims with the 9515, but iIm not sure bout it... :lmfao:

6. Steven Kephart

You do make some good points Spacemonkey. You are absolutely correct that there is more to SQ than just excursion. But this sub isn't just designed for SPL. It is also designed for Sound Quality. I think in the next year or two, you will see what I mean. :yes:

7. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Oh Im sure it is!! However the "Parthanon" itself is just a motor, and how it sounds(or its "SQ") will change greatly depending on the factors that you add to it.(suspension/cone) Thats all Im saying. :)

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I do personally like the looks of the MTX 9500 series...
    I wish I had some to play with.. it's no doubt an expensive sub. :(

But I'd like to stack it up against some XBL^2 subs, against the W7, see where it really falls, what it's really best at. ;)

9. Steven Kephart

Ah, good point. The one I quoted was the one at CES.

10. chadillac3

chadillac3 Full Member

I'm not sure many would agree that the Brahma surpasses the W7, but the Parthenon sure should, at least in output if nothing else. :)