Amp Question

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, Jan 27, 2004.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

I was wondering if you could hook up a Hifonics BX1500D amp up to two subs. I have heard that they only have output for one sub....

2. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

You can hook up almost any amount of drivers as low as the impedance doesn't dip lower than 1 ohm. Just wire them in paralle and you're good to go.

3. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Alright, not familiar with wiring, this will be my first project, how would I go about wiring them in parallel?

4. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Well, what is your current driver(s) and voice coil configurations?

5. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Two Kicker Solobaric L7 12 inch subs 2 ohm model

6. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Okay, Take the positive from each driver and wire it to the positive of the amp. then take the negative of each driver and wire them to the negative of the amp. That is a parallel wiring scheme.

7. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

alright, will I need to like twist the wires together and put them into the same input? Or will there be like 2 positive and two negative inputs on the amp?

8. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Well, My 1500 I had had 2 inputs, but both were summed inside the amp itself. I don't know about the new ones though. If there are 2 inputs(2+, 2-) Just hook 1 wire up to each. If there's only 1 of each, you have to hook both wires to each. There are many other ways to do it as well. For instance, you could hook 1 driver to the other one, then come off there and go to the amp. Let me link you somewhere that will explain all this to you with pics.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Electrically speaking, the connections just need to be on the same "plane", or "voltage potential".

Ever seen capactors, multiple capacitors wired using bus-bars to tie them all togther?
    That's parallel wiring too.

You could take a wire, go from the amp's + to the first sub's +, then to the next sub's +, then to the next sub's + (etc.)
    [And repeat that for the - side of the equation]...and you'd be wired in parallel, also.

You don't need to run two separate runs of wire all the way to the amp.

usually, what guys do is run two separate runs of wire to the terminal cup, inside the box.. and then all you have to do is run one wire from the amp to the terminal cup on the box.

As long as all the + terminals are "tied together", on the same voltage plane... and all the - terminals are "tied together", on the same voltage plane... you are all good. B)

Contrast this to series wiring, where you create a "loop" if you will.
    Out the amp's +, into the first sub's +, out that sub's - into the next sub's +, out that sub's -, into the next sub's + (etc.), finally going back to the amp's -. ;)

Hope that helps, not confuses....

10. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Here you go!

That's what I was trying to avoid. :D

11. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Wow, that is a lot of information. No it did not confuse me, I seem to have been able to pick all this up very quickly, thanks for the responses, much more in depth and intelligent that I expected. I posted this once a while before on another forum, and it was no help, they pretty much told me that if I was that stupid, to pay someone to do it (so much for having to start somewhere)

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Great!

Definitely no need to pay someone to do it, if you understand it, of course... because the labor involved is really small.

Building the enclosure, of course, requires a bit more in terms of carpentry skills.. but again, no real biggie if you understand what your goals are. B)

13. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Well, I am not worried about the box, I have already purchased a box because I am really lazy. I was wondering what wiring would you recommend using, the box has terminals in it that you hook the sub up to the box, and the box to the amp, and I was wondering what wiring I should use to make each connection, and also the amp to vehicle connection.

14. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

what kind of wiring would you recommend, not like the parallel or series, but the type wire to use

Just thought I would clear that up.....

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Just get decent 12 Ga speaker wire... Radio Shack, $.99 a foot

16. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Ok, I just found out that I can not use the Hifonics BX1500D amp on two of the dual 2-ohm model L7's...... what would you recommend.....

17. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Ok, wiring it in parallel like that, will that mean that each sub will be getting all 1500 watts from the amp? Or does that mean each sub will get 750?

18. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The power will always be split evenly among the subs.

...at least as long as all the subs have the same impedance.. another reason to never mix-n-match sub brands, much less impedances! Then, the power would be distributed goofy, proportional to the impedance.. just ugly.

But, as long as all your subs are the same, then just take the total power that the amp makes at the impedance that you have the subs wired up to present to the amp, and divide that by the number of subwoofers that you have, and you've got the total amount of power that each sub will see.

A 1200 watt amp with two subs, each would see 600 watts.

19. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

alright, what is a good 1400-1500 watt amp that will not break the bank?

20. Tirefryr

Tirefryr Full Member

Go to Termpro.com and search the classifieds. Lot of great amps and great prices. Beware though, alot of them are modded.