Amp problem with kicker zx 850. NEED HELP

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Rafe'n It, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Rafe'n It

Rafe'n It New Member

I have a kicker ZX.850.4 and I'm running 8 polk audio 6.5" 4ohm speakers. It plays at normal volume, but when i crank it up the amp goes into protection mode. Brand new amp. Brand new speakers. What can it be? Are speakers a true 4ohm? If not, is it possible that the speakers are dropping the amp below 2ohms?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what is the gain set too? is the amp in a location that allows it to breathe?

3. Rafe'n It

Rafe'n It New Member

gain is set about a quarter. The amp is in a boat cabin. Its not heat cutting it out bc a couple times it cut off within 2 min of playing. sometimes it rocks for 2 min sometimes 2 hours. The amp gets hot but not hot enough where you cant hold your hand on it.

4. eviling

eviling Full Member

8 speakers, what are the speakers rated at? 2 ohm? and how do you have them wired? you should wire them in sets per channel in series if they are 2 ohm, of if they are 4 ohm, wire them in sets of 2 per channel in parallel, which will put them at 2 ohm's per channel, running the full 212 rms watts, and about 106 at each speaker essentially.