Alternators

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Adrian, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Adrian

Adrian Full Member

alright i got a 2005 cavalier and im gonna run some amps 2 it and i was wondering if i needed an alternator well right now i jus have infintiy 6 1/2's
    and 6x9's and wen i have the light on wen im bumping it the light dim and thats with no amp jus stck head unit well i do wanna out the system in jus want everything to b legit i mean i have friends that bunp it with out alternators and it kills the power also wen i turn my a/c on so jus wanted 2 know wat u guys think and any suggentions

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lights are dimming with no amp? lol check your battery connections and alternator connections and grounds. Most likely loose or corroded.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

the head lights dim? or the dash lights or the radio lights?

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

ya, that shouldn't happen. I'll bet that you have a lot of corrosion on your battery terminals. You should never have dimming problems with basically a stock system.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Definitely first start with the big three.

6. GohillaAudio

GohillaAudio Full Member

ah, you took the words out of my mouth, i have had severe dimming of my dash/dome lights with just an eclipse deck wired to the stock harness....way too much drain for the tiny stock wires, i hardwired it with an inline fuse and it was ok after that

7. Adrian

Adrian Full Member

well coudnt it b the INFINITY'S doing there job

8. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

no the infinitys just make noise.a few dozen watts sholudnt dim lights.