Alpine Type X 10inch vs MTX 9500 10inch subs

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by kostyam69, Oct 21, 2011.

1. kostyam69

kostyam69 Full Member

ok, so about a month ago i blew my Alpine Type X 10inch sub by having too much fun with too much watts.... i looked into the Orion HCCA 10inch sub route and posted a thread asking for a comparison advice.... then i found out how much it would be to own an Orion HCCA in a custom built box.... lets just say i CAN afford it but will NEVER forgive myself for spending that much on sub things.... SOOOO now im curious about an MTX 9500 10 inch sub.... is it better than the alpine type x? even tho the wattage rating on them is slight different (alpine=1000rms vs MTX=750rms) im pushing my current (temporary CVRS) with a kicker zx1000.1 (same amp that killed the alpine)
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6706_MTX-Audio-T9510-44.html

or
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9266_Alpine-SWX-1043D.html

need suggestions.... i have the money to get a 9500 TODAY... so please let me know what you gu think

2. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

the mtx def looks like the better of the two, but just out of curiosity, how did you match the outputs of your hu?

3. kostyam69

kostyam69 Full Member

what do you mean by match?

4. kcox669live

kcox669live Full Member

yep. on your head unit there are outputs for amps, rca plugs. those pre-amp outs send a signal to your amp at a certain voltage. you have to match your gain of the amp to that voltage or you'll get distortion. that distortion is what usually blows speakers. i have an oscope so it's easy but there's a way to do it with dmms. i also scoped my hu so i know that if i turn the volume up past 29 i will be putting distortion into the amp. the gain is not a volume knob, it is there only to match the voltage of your pre- outs.

5. bonotech

bonotech New Member

Hey kostyam69. I am 99% sure that the distortion killed both ur subs.

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if your wanting to spend upwards of 449 for a 10. look into a sundown or a PSI sub.. either can be had for much cheaper.

i can recommend dozens more but those two are what stuck out at the moment.

7. kostyam69

kostyam69 Full Member

So I went and bought a 9500 from a local Craigslist ad... Got overly excited.... Long story short I'm 200 poorer and own a 9500 with 1 working coil....

Thank your Pedro, I will definetly look into those 2 subs I've heard the names just never knew a reputation behind them