Almost wrecked my Lincoln last night - thanks to theives

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Caraudiotalk, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Caraudiotalk

Caraudiotalk Administrator Staff Member

Almost wrecked my 1998 Lincoln last night - thanks to theives

Coming home last night, I noticed a little shimmy in the steering wheel. Almost like a half flat tire. I pulled over and checked, and tire pressure seemed fine... I couldnt see anything obviously wrong, It was dark, so I couldnt see much...

I decided to take the car home so I could get a better look at it in the morning.... I drove real nice not wanting to make the problem worse. I turned a corner and the Passenger side front wheel flew completely OFF THE CAR. I skidded about 30 yards on my rotor alone before I was finally able to come to a stop - right in the middle of the intersection of course.

Got out to look - saw the wheel gone. Looked at the lugs - 1 lug pin missing completely, but the other 4 seemed fine - not stripped. Very odd I thought to myself. I called my Tow truck guy, and gave jibit a call so I could get a ride home. A handful of incredulous cops stopped to gawk.

Went to my mechanic today to explain to him why my car was in his lot. Right away he said it sounded like someone tried to steal my rims. We walked around the car and found a few more lug nuts missing from the driver side.

My guess is that they got to the locking nuts and gave up.

Dont know about damage yet. I do know the fender is shot. The rotor as well. We'll see what else is screwed up.

Good thing I wasnt doin 40-50 mph. I'd be dead or badly hurt.

Attached Files:

2. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

wow Joey
    really good to see you alive man
    havent been around lately and you have good reason too
    get that Mark running good again so i wont have the only lux coupe on the forum anymore!

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Damn that thing is clean.

Same sh!t happened to my friends blazer....my other friend who is a complete retard sold my other friend with the blazer his 18 inch rims.

Fuking put them on with a 8 inch socket wrench...also the wheels were backwards because the tires are directional...he didn't even know it...he said he tightened them as tight as he could with the 8 inch wrench...I was like wtf are you thinking???

Friend was driving down a small backstreet with his girlfriend and noticed his front left wheel rolling next to him and tried to stop...grinded on his rotor for about 50 yards and pulled over....wheel rolled and took out some guys S10 truck.

Lesson learned was to correctly use a torque wrench or anything bigger than an 8 inch socket wrench to put rims on...and put them on facing the right direction.

4. Caraudiotalk

Well, my current thinking is to buy a full set of locking lugs for each tire. No sense dying to save a few bucks.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

indeed....Do they sell them in full sets of locking nuts??

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Dont want your wheels stolen? theres an easier way... get some lock-tite. the blue 242 works good. can be broken loose with a really good impact. use a regular lug wrench and forget it!!!!!!!!!!! But this method sucks if you get a flat out in the midle of BFE.....unless you get a flat right next to either A) an gas station or B) carry a cutting torch or C)are james bond and the car can fly

7. Caraudiotalk

LOL - Actually I carry a cordless impact wrench for those kinda things.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

lol...wow...could a cordless hammer drill work??

9. Caraudiotalk

LOL - The Cordless impact is fairly cheap - about $70 - and is worth every penny when you need it.

10. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Full Member

That frikkin sucks!

How will the damage be paid for? Is this something that insurance can cover?

11. Caraudiotalk

Thats what im hoping... dont know yet.

12. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

No, its a different type of impact, totally different than an impact gun

13. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

lol Joey has it all
    the man with a plan lol

14. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

Glad to hear that you're okay, Joey.

and glad to hear that all the thieves got was a couple of lugnuts.

sorry about the damage to you ride, though.. Hoping the insurance takes good care of you.

15. DREAMZmustang

DREAMZmustang Full Member

about 3 years ago Someone stole 2 honeycomb style wheels from my pops and came back the next nite to grab the other 2 only to find out they were a diffrent style an left them.we noticed it first thing in the mornin an switched the wheels with a beater set but the wheels werent on the car they sat stacked up rite next to the driveway,but we put it there because things like that never happen in my nieghborhood intill that, than a week later we saw a pos honda driveby with the wheels on his car so we saw what he looked like an he was new to the nieghborhood, so we went to his house and took them rite off the car an rolled them home,but it didnt stop there he came back 2 nites later an stole all 4 wheels off my mustang an then went to his house an they were behind his house,so i knocked on the door,he opened the door and then BOOM he was on the floor with a broken nose and rolled my wheels home But it still didnt stop he came back and smashed the rear window out of my dads Merkur xr4ti so whatever it was a parts car i didnt really feel like playin this stupid game anymore he was like 16 anyway im not gonna kill him,but he never bothered us anymore

16. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Full Member

With the stuff in his backyard, it would have been pretty easy to prove that it was him stealing the stuff. Didn't feel like fooling with the police on this one?

17. Caraudiotalk

Nope -

Well, they'll cover it under collision, but I have a $1000 deductible. Not worth filing for. I figured it should be covered under comp since its all the result of an attempted theft.

Good news, damage was relatively minor. About $200 + the fender. (the fender was damaged and has to be straightened and painted)

18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Full Member

Ouch at the insurance.

I guess you lucked out on the damage, even though it's hard to say that you lucked up in any aspect of this situation. :(