add a cap maybe?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by bigcam, Mar 1, 2009.

1. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

ok i got 4 15" subs being pushed by 1 kenwood 900 rms amp and 1 850 rms alpine. (yea im gona get a matching kenwood prity soon) 0 gauge wire from battery all the way back to the amps. 2 4 gauge wires from the battery to the body and 2 8 gauge wires from the motor to the body also the stock 0 gauge wire from motor to the battery. (most of this was done befor i got this truck) so its well grounded. still the stock 60 amp alternator. im not upgrading the alternator yet because im doing a motor swap this summer puting in a cummins witch will have a 140 amp alternator stock. so i see no need to spend money for a high amp alternator that fits this motor and then not use it after this winter.

so should i get a cap? will it help for now and later with the higher amp alternator? or should i just get a 2nd battery since i will need a 2nd battery to start the diesel any ways?

im sure you can just think of how bad i am able to kill my lights with this setup. but im not driving around with it cranked up all the way so far just a few sec to show off then right back down till i get it all set up right.

im also thinking about pulling out 2 of the subs and the alpine amp for now till i get the better alternator. will a cap still help if i do this or still not needed?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

deff a second batt. the cap wont fix your problem. since you'll need a second batt anyways might as well get it now.

3. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

ok thank you. i will get a matching par in the next week or so. the battery thats in it now is old so im not gona mess with it and just run matching ones.

so when will a cap help? or will just using 2 batterys and the 140 amp alt be good anough?

i should also say im thinking after i get the motor swap done i want to get 2 kenwood 1200watt rms amps to push all 4 subs. thought this info may help you anser my qestions.

thanks agan

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The second battery needs to be close to the amps for everything to work well. The reason we have problems is that the amps want power now and the battery is just tooo far away. So we solve this problem by putting a battery next to the amps.

When we are talking about alot of amp power, caps won't help. Now I'm not one of those people who hate caps, my truck, my wifes car and my sons car all have caps. But none of us have a 1000 watts RMS either.

5. pedro quiroga

maybe a 3rd batt will be in order. two reg ones up front. nothing fancy or pricey,and a sealed batt in the rear.

6. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

yea i understand it needs to be right close to the amps. i may end up with 3 batterys 2 in front and 1 in back. because cummins has a grid heater that will take over 200 amps befor start up and during warm up + all the amps it takes to turn over a cold diesel. diesels have 2 batterys from factory any ways and thats probly why.

mostly i wanted to know since a found a good deal on a 8 farad cap but i didnt want to throw my money away for nothen. and the price of that cap is about what a good battery will cost any ways. yes i know i wouldnt need that big of a cap but i was thinking to big is better kinda like power wire. since you all feel i dont need one i can spend that money on batterys:lol:

thanks agan

7. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

you read my mind lol why i was making my last post you posted this lol

yea i will probly get 2 up front that are 1000 cold cranking amps and some kind of sealed one for the back. any ideas on what to run as brand for the back one? or does it really matter?

8. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

i also have anether truck with 1 12" in it with an 800 watt rms amp. that is a diesel with 2 batterys in it factory should i put a cap in this one since its under 1000 watt rms?

9. pedro quiroga

how much can you spend for a sealed batt? i was looking on ebay and found some good prices on a few kinetiks.

10. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

idk i guess what ever it takes to get a good one would be the price i have to pay.

11. pedro quiroga

ok. i found a 1200 cca kinetik on ebay for 159. way cheaper than the kinetik site wants. 299.

12. bigcam

bigcam Full Member

ok whats the link to it? i was guessing i would end up paying atlest 150 bucks per a battery any ways. i dont want to cheap out on batterys because when i need my truck to start i need it to start ya know. mite aswell get a good one for my system to. since this will be my new daliy driver i need it to get me to work all winter long. im retiring my pickup as a daliy driver and using it just for pulling.

13. pedro quiroga

dang you know what there is only like one batt on there now. i must be misspelling it cause yesterday i found tons of em.

you have to look on ebay motors tho

14. pedro quiroga