? about polyfil

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by twk62390, Nov 16, 2006.

1. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

ive been searching on here and i understand that the polyfil makes the subs think the box is bigger than in really is......but if my box is the recomended size required for the subs would adding polyfil give me more or less bass, because i have also read that polyfil can be used as a sound deadner....so is it better to use polyfil or leave the box empty.

thanks

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If the box is spec sized than don't worry about it...also polyfill only makes the sub think the enclosure is about 10% bigger max.

Polyfill is in no way a sound deadener

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

OK, heres the deal..............

dacron does make the sub think it is in a bigger box...up to around 20-30% bigger, MAX.... Now, to install dacron(polyfill) to help eliminate resonance.....that is a bunch of crap..... Polyfill works by "slowing down: the air movement" in a box by converting the pressure into heat....yes this is true.

It will not give you MORE bass, It MAY help the low frequency extension a touch, but WILL NOT make it louder....

Poly fill is NOT a sound deadener for subass frequencies, period, the wavelenght is far to long to for this stuff to effect it..........

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ok correction 20-30 Percent....

Viking, question about poly-bagging...what plastic sheeting can I use??? Will cutting big ziploc type bags work????

5. TheViking

QActually azn, you are more accurate in your 10% than me for all intents and purposes....

Never tried poly bagging with big zip lock bags,,,,,should work really.....

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what is poly bagging?and why

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Viking please make a sticky about old school tips and tricks lol

8. TheViking

not a bad idea azn.........

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I really wanna polybag my speakers by the damned weather is like 35 degrees here...malarky I say lol

10. Tbusiness06

Tbusiness06 Full Member

doesnt coating the inside of your box with fiberglass resin help?

11. twk62390

twk62390 Full Member

thanks that answered my ?

12. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

why not just use new bags of polyfill, and never take them out of the plastic?

okay.. now it's just me being onry..:p

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Resining inside only seals up the enclosure...resin itself has almost so strength