70+ People At Adire Equals Fun

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Well on Saturday we had a DIY meet at Adire Audio. Many of the people who attended brought in their own projects, so there was a plethera of speakers and other equipment there. Here's some pics. I told you there was a lot of speakers. :eek:

I got the chance to meet Hobbes. He seems like a very nice guy in person, just like online. They got a picture of us talking together in the subwoofer area.

Things that would be of interest to you guys is the Parthanon of course, the still unreleased Koda 10's behind it, and a 12" Pheonix Gold Cyclone. Apparently the Cyclone belongs to one of the guys, but he doesn't use it. So we get to play with it for a while. B) I wonder if it will fit under my dash. :D

Another thing to notice is the limo. It really isn't Adire's limo, but partly Dan's. It is a 2000 Caddy with a 10 foot stretch. As soon as he got it, we removed the full range Rockford Fosgate 12" subwoofer and Kenwood amp. I grabbed my old .5 cubic foot enclosure (the one pictured on my site) and we dropped a Koda 10 in it. We then got a really good deal on a DEI 6 channel amp (Thanks Wes) to power it and the other speakers. The Sony Xplod head unit and Kenwood 4" speakers are still in there for now (Grills changed over to generic one's with Adire logo's added). But we plan on getting a better head unit, and either putting in the Extremis 4's, or Koda components in the 4 speaker locations. The Koda 10 is a very impressive sub. Surprisingly in the small enclosure and 300 watts, it still got loud and of course sounded great. Even in that cavernous trunk (Dan calls it "A 4 body trunk. 3 if their big like Tony.")

Also, one of the attendees had a pair of ED 10O's in his car, so I got to audition them. His friend just bought a Brahma 12 from us and got it installed. Since he had only about 500 watts, Dan recomended a 1.5 cube enclosure. He put it in a 1.1 cube enclosure instead, and was more than happy with the output. So I use that as another testament that the Brahma works just fine off of 500 watts. After talking to him, I think his friend (with the ED subs) is interested in switching to Brahma 10's now. :spam:

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

2. Steven Kephart

[​IMG]

Oh, forgot to brag. I made those black speaker stands. Although you can't see them very well, I am very proud on how good they turned out. Dan had me make them for his pastor. I guess now he is getting them used.

The dark brown speakers have dual Extremis 4's (the new one's with the improved phase plug) and a ribbon tweeter. Dan measured the 4's full range up to 18 kHz before it starts to drop off. Playing the pictured speakers full range, the got down very deep. Everyone was very impressed when listening to them and we mentioned that the sub wasn't turned on.

OH, and while I'm bragging. Here's the other enclosure I made. I finished it up the day before the event.
    [​IMG]

It is called the Hurricane. It is designed for dance clubs, etc. The top speaker is a point source coaxial driver. That setup get's VERY loud, and sounds awesome. We have a pair of them now, and use them for music in the warehouse.

3. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Heya... it was nice meeting you too Stephen - didn't know you were so tall..haha

Here's my impressions of that day:

The parthenon - was actually smaller than I imagined.... but still - looking at the throw of that piston... man... impressive... I woulda loved to see it in action, but it wasn't ready to be connected...

The Extremis 4's were quite impressive and they got down pretty low for 4"s... that black box in the center on the floor was a 6.5" XBL^2 sub (if i'm not mistaken) but I didn't get to hear it much - How much power was going to it? Cute sub!

Hearing the Koda 10 in the limo - was VERY impressed at it's output from a 0.5cuft box... It just pounds! Amazed when they opened up the trunk and I saw the box... :jawdrop: The Kenwoods need to go though....

Also got to hear two Tumults in 3cuft each sealed, and it sounded really good - filled up the warehouse pretty well... I gotta get me that CD of the The Blue Man Group they were playing on it (after I put my sub in the car...)

Dan gave an informative presentation on the basics of the design engineering of loudspeakers, the considerations that go into it, and the choices/tradeoffs that need to be made... Pretty interesting...

Brian gave a demo on how to recone a speaker... It was informative - never seen that before... looks pretty easy to do if you have the right tools and glues on hand... Cringed when I saw him cutting straight into that Sadhara speaker cone... :eek:

Oh yeah, I didn't actually get to hear a lot of the stuff that other people brought to the meet - I actually heard some of the speakers before at the RAW Acoustics meet... There were quite a few interesting loooking speakers, if you look at the pics tho

And then there was the slurpee machine!!! :D

4. Steven Kephart

This is the first time I didn't like high efficiency. I figured with all 4 1 ohm voice coils of the Parthanon in series, they would hold up against being plugged into the wall. Unfortunately the sub is like 97 dB efficient, so Dan said it would break. Too bad because that would have been a really cool demo. :gunsmilie:

Yes it was an XBL^2 6.5" driver in a sealed enclosure powered by a 60 watt amp. It is a pretty impressive little setup.

But the Sony should stay? :p Yes, I agree. Actually we have quite a few plans for that thing. This includes drop down screens, built in computer, navigation, multiple camera's for both the driver and passengers, and several other additions.

Hehe, I had that same reaction the first time I saw that as well.

I still think you need to come by sometime and actually listen to the Sadhara. I watched Spy Kids 3D on the system today. That sub is just so amazing. It plays so low, and is so clean. It is definitely my favorite home theater sub I have ever heard.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

5. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

HU doesnt matter - unless you want the bling factor... lol
    I didn't actually see where the HU was...

The interior looked quite ghetto tho... I think it could be made to look more classy...

Yeah, maybe I'll drop by when I have my car all wired up...

I got a few questions for ya too Steven, YGPM (argh! it's full on this forum so I sent it on Carsound)

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Looks like fun, I would have liked to be there! B)

I swear in one of the pictures, I saw some tall triangular shaped towers, that looked to have the 3" TangBand fullrange drivers that I just picked up... from CSS I imagine.
    Looks like CSS brought a lot of the goods actually!
    Any chance they had one of those "Needles" kits present?

Let me know, if you are going to measure the Cyclone's T/S specs..
    The specs that I have are from a 10 year old magazine review, and weren't really complete.

At any rate, the Cyclone works best in a 2.5 cu.ft. enclosure (build a 3 footer, it eats up 0.5 cu.ft all by itself, in displacement!). It's got a relatively high Qts, and an extremely low Fs... so it really does limit it's ideal performance to a sealed environment. ;)

7. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

The needles kit wasnt there for this show - it would have been quite impractical to bring - it's quite tall... I think RAW Acoustics' Al Wooley had some on display at another meet at his house last year. It was just the shell though - no working speakers in it.

Re: the cyclone - if you build it, i will come... down to see it...haha
    - Get Dan to open up for a car audio show!

I don't think the triangular speakers had the 3" TBs, though I could be mistaken... I was pretty sure they were something a bit bigger than that.