5-Channel Amp

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by KGH667, Dec 27, 2011.

1. KGH667

KGH667 Member

Alright, did quite a bit of research tonight and have some questions for my whole audio idea... My problem is with wiring, first off, the power from my stock head unit is not doing enough for the currently installed speakers, so I want to disconnect the power from the head unit, and put all the power to a 5-channel amp.

I plan on the amp to power 2 Kicker DCVR122that I will get, and the 4 door speakers. Is this possible, or can I only use one 12" sub if I wanted to do that. The amp I have in mind is Boss CE2505.

So you don't have to look up the specs,

AMP:
    RMS Power Rating:
    4 ohms: 150 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan.
    Max Power Rating:
    2 ohms: 250 watts x 4 chan. + 1500 watts x 1 chan.
    Bridged @ 4 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan. + 1500 watts x 1 chan.

DUAL 12" SUBS:
    Peak: 1600 watts
    RMS: 800 watts
    2ohms

I figure it's possible to disconnect all the power from the head unit, but keep the audio.Then, even if I did all that, will I still beable to connect tweeters to the head unit, or would that not work without power going to the 4 door speakers? Lastly, I need information on tweeters, with mounting options and designs...

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Excellent idea. In fact, everything in my truck is powered by amplifiers. Including the tweeters. But yes you can power everything from a 5-channel amp and power the tweeters from your head unit. Great idea. Having a single amp to do all the work simplifies installation.

3. KGH667

KGH667 Member

Alright, but what about the two subs working on the first channel for that amp... I see that the channel 1 at 2 ohms is 1500 peak, which is 100 below the bass... so it will hold the subwoofers, but I don't know the ohms or wattage of the stock speakers... how would I figure this info out? I'm using google, but getting dead ends.

4. 89Eldorado

89Eldorado New Member

Im trying to use a 5 channel amp too, Can i hook up 2 pairs of 6x9's to my MTX Blue Thunder Pro 400x5 if so how much rms should my 6x9's be so i won't blow my tweeters on em and also, can i hook up a pair of polk audio db351 on this amp too or should i hook em up to another amp and how many watts on the amp to push em.