4 ohm and 6 ohm setup?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by adamvogt28, Apr 30, 2006.

1. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

hey is it bad to wire 2 of the same subs if they have different imps.? (ones 4 ohm and ones 6 ohm) i was gonna wire them in parallel and i have a 1 ohm stable amp...i was gonna wire each sub in parallel and then just hook it up to my 16st1000d memphis...would this be a bad idea?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

What subs are they?

3. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

they are 2 12 inch jl audio w3v2's

4. Duct Tape

Duct Tape Full Member

its not a good thing, one sub will get more power than the other. that and its ghetto to run mis-matched subs.

5. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

well i chacked the ohms on both subs and there both at around 1.45 ohms..weird.

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Weird...how did u acquire two w3's in different ohms?

7. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

ebay...nuff said

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

lol...I'm sorry

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

your measuring the subs resting resitance, which is far differant than the rated NOMINAL resistance.

Look on the subs for a Model number and Post the Full Model Number.

1.45 Re per coil would imply 2ohm DVC subs or they are blown:eek:

10. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

am I stupid or does w3v2 3ohm dvc, meaning dual 3 ohm voice coils, and regardless of that, if both are w3v2's wouldn't they have the same exact impedance?

I'm not trying to act like I know something, just asking..

and dude, if they are different impedance, you definitely do not want to run them off of the same amp. even if you put them in separate boxes and wired them in series, you'd never be happy with the sound, because it would be so uneven. better off finding a mate for one of them and putting the bastard one back on ebay..:huh:

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

the w3 v2's come in 3 configurations, Dual 2ohm, Dual 4 ohm and Dual 6ohm. there is no dual 3 ohm,

and yes it is possible to buy 2 differant configurations of w3v2's

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

the w3 part is the model and v2 is dual voice coil i believe

13. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

No W3, is the sub Class, V2 is Verison 2.

so it s Sub Class "W3" Version 2

a Full JL Model Number would be W3v2-D4

Sub Class --. W3
    Version --- v2
    Coil Type -- "D" Dual
    Nominal Re -- 4ohm

That is the Break down of JL Subwoofer Model Numbers

14. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

yup hes right...anyone wanna buy my slightly used w3v2d6? lol

15. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

cool, thanks for the info, ancient.. learn something new everyday:huh:

and they said that the brain damage wouldn't affect me until my sixties-hah!

ps.. dude.. you gotta find someone that got the same ebay deal as you, and swap them straight up!:)

16. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

that still does not explain the Resistance Readings you where getting off the coils, unless you did not post some info, or I am missing something.

17. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

well quess what. i just blew my 4 ohm jlw3v2. now i just have a 6 ohm jl w3v2. so what do u guys think i should do. i found a good deal on a pair of w6v2's for about 400bucks, but those are 400 watts rms if im not mistaken and im not sure if my amp can handle that? if you forgot i have a memphis 16st1000d amp. im pretty sure its rated to 1100 watts stable at 1 ohm, but not positive...ANY help would be great!

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I got a friend with that amp. Its a really good amp and runs cool as hell. And yes its 1100 watts at 1 ohm.

19. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

ok since im such and impatient person and i just got my paycheck, i bought 2 12w6v2's. now what i think im going to do is try and find a w3v2 (6 ohm)to put in my box (along with my other w3v2 6 ohm) and sell all my stuff as a complete setup... then iwas gonna get the 1000/1 jl amp (never heard a bad word uttered about this amp) andrun both my new 12w6v2's on it BUT i want a good ported box for my new subs...right now i have a flashy universal ported box that i of course got off ebay...i looked on jl's site and all they have for 2 w6v2's is a sealed prowedge system...im thinking about that but i really want a ported system cuz i listen to a loy of rap and want that really deep bone shatterring bass lol...so should i just save my money and keep the memphis amp? or will it be underpowering my subs? and should i just get a ported box thats rated to the space of the w6v2's? man so many questions...i hope you guys can help me out...

20. adamvogt28

adamvogt28 Full Member

anyone? im very impatient lol