3 red tops, dimming headlights

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by kryptonitewhite, Feb 16, 2009.

1. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

OK, we JUST got the car a few weeks ago and started installing the system. it's not done yet by a long shot. I do not have the big 3 done yet. I do not have a HO alt. however, I used to run 1 red top under the hood and 1 stinger spv70 in the back without big 3 or HO alt in an Olds Cutlass and Dodge Intrepid with ZERO problems. the systems in those were WAY louder and hit much much harder than this one, plus I had a kicker 350.4 and 200.2 in those as well. when I ran the lanzar in it, it was at 1 ohm , now only 2 ohm, and before that an inefficient Audiobahn A1500HCT that popped 100amp fuses left and right till I just ran the power wire strait to the battery no fuse.

this one is totally not ready... single 2 ohm coil on a Lanzar OPTI2000D...and it clips very easily. I can hear clipping and I back it off. Sometimes the sub starts to stink a little. The amp is rated 1100 RMS @ 2ohms, but I am going to guess I'm doing no more than 900. We first put 1 redtop under the hood and hooked up 1 of the 5 in back. With 2 hooked up, no big 3 or HO alt, I STILL should not get any headlight dimming even "full tilt" at 2 ohm, but I cant do that or I clip and cook. But we keep it real, real low because of that..and it still dims! Hooked up a second in back and took the extra 3 batteries completely out for now. Same problem... solid grounds for both of them.

What gives? 10 amp draw per battery, so 20 extra amps now from the 2 in back . Just guessing no more than 50 amps for the amp (probobly much less) so yeah yeah, maybe up to 70 amps in addition to normal current draw, but still... i never had that with my intrepid or cutlass!

OLDs... 1 red top, 1 stinger spv 70, 1 Audiobahn A1500HCT 1 Kicker KX350.4... no big 3, no HO alt! (had that worthless cap in there for a while, oooh... 1 farad... I'd take 1 battery over 100 farads any day of the week)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553176

[​IMG]

INTREP... lanzar opti 1ohm, kicker 350.4 and 200.2... red top and yellow top, no big 3, no HO, NO DIM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even ran a XX-Colossus I bought Hexi... but it was damaged, clipped at low power, not near as loud as the other 2 amps... current draw minimal

[​IMG]

used to use 8 guage power wire and distro blocks for speaker wire for very low resistance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I'd like to hear a good answer for this. I have the big 3 but no HO alt and a stock battery. I can't bring my system to full tilt cuz of the dimming. I've heard of people running what i have with no dimming issues.

3. kryptonitewhite

kryptonitewhite Full Member

how difficult was doing the big 3? Not looking forward to more terminal rings, wire stripping and cutting... too old for this ****

4. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

actually it only took me a few hours to do. ring terminals weren't that hard to do either. Most of my time was spend looking for a good chasis ground and i had to get under the truck to do it. just gotta get on it.

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

how big is your cars alt? my guess is that the batts need more charge time maybe.

i have a buddy (same one that did the 150 @ 23hz) with a dodge neon with no HO alt and no big 3 with 5 extra batts in the trunk he can blast his for a lil bit before he has to sit in the parking lot at shows and charge his batts back up.

of course he also charges before shows too i believe.