2ohm 4ohm 8ohm ??????

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by wood0691, Jan 23, 2011.

1. wood0691

wood0691 Full Member

i am running a power acoustik OVN2-800 amp with a one DVC 4ohm DVC sub that i have wired doen to 2 ohms load. my amp manual says the lowest recomended impodence is 4ohm bridged mono but the out puts are stereo and the amp says on it that it is 2ohm stable. i need alittle help on what i need to do. when i wire my sub 4 ohm it sounds like doodoo but the 2ohm wiring sound great. can i get some one to look at this manual on page 10 and tell me what they think please....

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/manual and catalog/Amplifiers/Gothic-Series-09-(OVN).pdf

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

It says 2 channel bridged 4-8ohms.Your amp is mono when bridged and stereo when not.It's 2 ohm stereo and 4-8 ohm when bridged.

3. wood0691

wood0691 Full Member

so i guess im in the market for a new amp. what is a good cheap amp to run a DVC 12" @ 2ohms? max on the sub is 500w rms 250w.

4. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

Kicker, jl, audio pipe, rockford fosgate, (mtx(I think), and many other great brands. Like I always hear and have been told, it depends on you price range.

5. wood0691

wood0691 Full Member

the guy at the local audio shop couldnt tell me a good amp to use on my sub, just kept saying i would have to run it at 4ohms. i dont know why he said that tho. RMS 250W MAX 500W.how about the Alpine MRP-M500 amp? i feel like this would be fine but could use a second opinion.
    •mono subwoofer car amplifier
    •300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
    •variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
    •variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
    •subsonic filter (15 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
    •Class D amp with MOSFET power supply

6. connerray2010

alpine i believe is a good brand. google it for reviews and stuff. that will tell you alot about it.

7. wood0691

wood0691 Full Member

i know Alpine is a good name brand. and yes it has great reviews. i was wanting to know if the amp will fit the bill for my sub. you know, have enough punch for the right boom. the audio guy couldnt tell me a good amp to use cause of the watts. what is so strange about a 12" DVC 4ohm RMS250w 500w max????????? he said i would have to get a big enough amp and run the sub 4 ohm and 2ohm. that doesnt make sence to me.

8. connerray2010

9. des343

des343 Full Member

i have an alpine MP500 or something and it is 1000 watts max 500 rms but sounds great...pushes good power...actually perfect for your set up i think ;) 2 ohm stable

10. steve

steve Full Member

You have 2 choices, 1 you can run the spkr wired parallel for a 2ohm load hooked to one channel of the amp or you can run the spk wired series for a 8 ohm load hooked in the bridged configuration of the amp,either way the output will be about the same.
    you really need a 8ohm DVC or another 4ohm DVC (like you have) to get the most out of your amp, otherwise you are basically running half the amps power output.
    also you said you had it hooked up at 4ohms,i assume you mean you had just one voice coil connected which is bad. the efficiency is lowered by 3+ db along with reduce power handling by about half,not a good thing.
    hope this helps

11. connerray2010

you can only hook 1 vc up, my brother inlaw had his hooked up this way, and had it that way untill i got ahold of it and blew it in less than a minute. i dont think its good on them but it will play music.

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what do you mean by this?

if he has a dual coil, 4 ohm sub. he needs to hook up both coils. sure it will work with only one coil wired up, but may not last as long as normal.

13. wood0691

wood0691 Full Member

i have both coils wired in. from the amp + to the speaker + across to the - on the other voive coil then from that voice coil + to the - at the first coil, bridged into one chanel on the amp which is a 8ohm load i belive. when i wire it + to + to + and - to - to - then it hits really really hard but the amp gets so hot it just about glows. im gonna have to get the Alpine amp.

14. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

look on ebay for a kicker 200.1 zx or kx doesnt matter u can get it around a 100 bucks and is perfect for the sub u r using, it will do exactly what u want and is a highly underated amp! it produces the most power at 2 ohms in which u have a dual 4 ohm sub so drop the vc config to 2 ohms and waalaa u have the perfect power for your sub!