2 type x enclosure?

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by kjchillz, Feb 4, 2007.

1. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

well i have my 2 type x's. should i go get them put in a box before i decide which amp to buy? will any amp work for any box? no matter if its ported, sealed, or anything like that?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

And amp will work with anything...its sole purpose is to power speakers...it has no feelings and doesn't care what it is powering

Please...DO NOT BUY A PREFAB ENCLOSURE.

Build one or have one built by a shop or carpenter

3. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

Why?! what is wrong with buying 1 that is prebuilt? I'm only looking to spend like 150-200$. Take a look at these boxes made for my type x www.gforceperformanceaudio.com/. Wouldnt those boxes work great for my type x's?

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

he said that because not all boxes are built for all subs.if you buy that box is there a return policy if it doesnt make those subs sound their best?if so then get it.if not.there is the chance that they will sound like crap in that box.

i just looked some more on that site.it does say he makes the boxes to spec.

have you looked locally?maybe you can get one for the same price or cheaper.and most likely the same day.

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I would rather buy a TCAB or have Team Toxic Bass build you an enclosure...I would be much better quality because the box will be built to your VEHICLE AND WOOFERS.

Those boxes there are simple ported boxes that fall into the airspace range recommended.

http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/design/index.htm

http://www.spkrman.com/

Higly recommend either of these if you want to buy one

6. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

Whats wrong with an enclosure at my local store? I don't think i need a custom box. I know I will be happy with my 2 type x's bumpin hard enough in a decent box.

7. eazy

eazy Full Member

You could build your own box for less than $60 out the door, and it would sound much better than a prefab box.

8. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

well im not doin that cuz i hate building things. So Prefab it is!! hope it serves me decently

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I hope so too...my friend has his Type X's in a prefabbed vented box.

It doesn't impress me for a couple Type X's and 2000 watts. My one JL 15 W4 and 400 watts was louder than my friends Type X's and 2000 watts...tells you how important the enclosure is to performance.

Hell I had a couple Type R's last year and a vented box that I built with about 500 watts rms total so 250 rms each sub....that setup hit just as hard and hit lower and louder than my friends Type X's.

But if you are happy with the prefab than go for it...you have a lot of potential with that setup

10. kjchillz

kjchillz Full Member

Im going for prefab because its cheap and convenient. Plus my friend has 2 12" type r's with a pdx1000 to it in a prefabbed box. It hits really hard. So im guessing mine should be a lot louder than his.

11. jibberjive

jibberjive New Member

not necessarily going to

12. Jeffc879

Jeffc879 Full Member

prefab boxes suck. do you realize thats what makes or breaks a system? just pay the extra and have someone build you a box. or hey do this, buy a prefab, and run it, then have a custom ported with the right airspace and tuned specifically for the type x's. then you will see what all of us idiots are talking about.

13. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

see im a little each way. Prefab SEALED boxes are fine to me if you match up the cubic airspace to the subs specs. Prefabed ported and bandpass I would never touch... you will never get the most out of your subs using either of those.. EVER. This is a fact. So SEALED you can do either way. Anything else.. stick with custom made.

Or you could just decide not to listen to us and gamble with how it will sound. That is up to you. It may sound fine.. it may not... but like I said.. you will never be going to get the most SPL or SQ out of a prefabricated box.

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I've blown a side off of a sealed prefab....not really blow off, the side split off at the seam...and you could see the crappy glue they use and some long staples that hold the box together

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  15. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

its sad to see nice type x's go to a dumbass that won't use them to their full potential. it's like buying a ferrari and only filling it up with cheap gas.

16. The Raven

The Raven Full Member

What kind of car do you have, do you have limited space to work with.
    If so and if there is a Best Buy near you (At least at the store in Cedar Rapids Iowa they had a single 12" either Typr R, E or X housed in a compact bandpass made to spec logo for just over your price for two seperate enlcosures but worth it in my opinion

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03082&id=1074787382792

The single display model getting only like 750watts hit harder then both of the fosgate 15's I had when i was a kid, it is a prefab, it is a Q logic, but Best Buy does have a no questions asked return policy provided it is in resaleable condition. like I said with two of these single units it should sound alot more powerful then they are ( hell it rattles the entire store when the get turned on) and thats the display model customizing and tweeking your system you can get more out of it. and two seperate enclosures rather then one gives you more install options then one big bulky box only draw back there is if you want to bridge the subs that means more wire but if you buy type X's then that probably is not you plan anyway
    hope I could help
    Jason

17. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

hey azn wanna help me build a box for my 12.1 in the Ranger. Could use a partner to help design it. Was going to pay willy to just make me one but he is MIA so time to make it myself.

18. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

19. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

great sub man. I had two of those some time back. Loved em. (to dave)

20. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Help actually BUILD it or design one....I'm in Southern Indiana and it is 19 degrees here