2 Much Power???

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Jae Young, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Jae Young

Jae Young New Member

i have a 02' escape,and i really wanna hook this up with sound...ive got the money so thats not MUCH of a issue but it kinda is..

but i wanna get 4 12'' subs, and push about close to maybe more than 1000 watts...i made a EXTREMLY GHETTO layout of wat i had in mind in paint...it took all of like 5 mins so its really pathetic but its jus a idea....

well heres the link if your interest http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8150/xcapeback54yq.jpg (once again, thats not what i have/gettin, jus a basic EXTREMLY basic layout)

but my main question, is that (4 12'' subs, <=>1000 watts) to much "bump"?

and any other comments please post...ty

OOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?

2 12'' subs and 2 amps (500 W each) and here would b the setup http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7493/xcapeback66dz.jpg

which would b best? im thinkin the 2nd 1...but would that b good? like would i have 2 much watts for my speakers? or not enough? plz and thank you!!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If you really want to dish out the cash for that much of custom work than go for it...personally if you want Infinity go for the Perfect series subs.

4 12's and 1000watts can be "out-bumped" by 1-2 12's in the right enclosure and clean power.

Are you looking for just some subs and an amp or a full out system...HU, new speakers, subs+amp?

If you want to bump than Caddy here has 3 JL audio W6's and an amp for sale that will shatter about all systems that you know of.

Please think and be more wise...I'd hate to see someone just jump the gun and buy a bunch of stuff and not have it done right.

Tell us exactly what your looking for...what music do you listen to? What are you looking for in sound? sound quality or all out SPL? How much money are you willing to spend? You having money is saying a lot...cuz theres a lot that can be done if you say money isnt a problem...ppl here will give you plenty of suggestion...

Hit us back up.

peace and welcome to the forum.

3. Jae Young

Jae Young New Member

to start off with id want some subs and amp...maybe replace the stock speakers later on...

i wanted to see wat ppl said/suggestions b4 i jus bought stuff

i listen to rap, im lookin mainly for "thump" if that answers ur question...good quality of course..watta mean by spl? i can prolly spend from 500-700 (could spend more if need...tryin to b n between cheap and expensive so i can get them 20's ASAP)....

see wat else i can give help on

my friends dad wins alot of those "box making" compition thingy watevers so he knows how and where to place em....so i was thinkin 2 12's and 1000 watts or watever ya'll/him say is best...like u said if its pocketed/placed right it'd hit hard so ima talk to him about it...but ima wait for mor ggestions/comments here and go talk to him and get everything right and find out all ill need b4 i start spendin...

anything else i need to cover? i will if needed

thx for the help man

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I agree with aznboi about putting your subs in the correct enclosure. You can have a 1000$$ subwoofer that will sound terrible if its put in the wrong box. I think 2 nice 12s will bump very hard if you give them clean power and are put in the right box. Ported enclosures usually will be a little louder and sealed boxes will handle more power and usually sound cleaner. Check out the Kicker L7 subs and amps. The kicker 1200 amp pushing 1 L7 in a 1hom load should light your fire. Start out with less because you will be suprised at how loud it can get if you do it correctly. You can always buy more woofers later if you want more bass.+

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well if your looking for thump than go with one 15...Kicker L7 is a good start but I'm sure many others here till give you some more suggestions.

One 15 in a big enough and properly built enclosure will pound pretty hard.

You should invest in a nice amp that puts out clean power...No point in having a very nice subwoofer but feeding it ugly power from a cheapo 3000watt amp.

Ok I just saw your edited post...Well if you really want go to with two 12's than the new Alpine Type R's beat real hard. I mean you can actually set off alarms when driving by parked cars...Well atleast I did it to my friend lol...Also I have a POS Profile HA1000 hooked up to it lol...I know I know the amp is a piece of sh*t but it is only temporary. But it beats pretty hard with only about 240 rms not so clean watts to each.

You can never have too much power.

6. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

soooo true you can get a 5000 watt amp hook it to a sub thats only 1000 rms 2000 peak and just turn down the bass boost and the gain. that way if you ever decide to get 2 subs or upgrade subs then you dont need to lay down more bucks for a bigger amp later!

7. Jae Young

Jae Young New Member

aight thx a tone ya'll...ive took down all the stuff ill need and ima talk to that guy and see if he can do it....then time to start blowin this money...lol....thx a tone ya'll

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

No problem...Could you tell us exactly what you are going to purchase?

Just wanted to know.

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

When it comes to loud size of the enclosure is everything. A few months ago a customer came to us and insisted that he wanted to be heard coming a mile away.
    I work with another very talented installer and he took the challenge. And what he came up with hurts. This thing is LOUD. Knocked my glasses right off my face. I flew out of that Suburban so fast it wasn't even funny. My ears hurt for an hour.

[​IMG]

The extra battery is a must, this Class D Amp supplies 1250-watts and requires 120 amps of current when its working hard.

After 12 years doing this I have more pictures and stories than you can imagine. And old people love to talk.

10. CadillacETC1997

wow i like except the sub brand but hey what ever works im sure the thing SLAMS

u have lots a pics right any of Cadillacs?

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Ranger how about we just make a thread just for you and your pics and stories...

We all love to see and hear about them...

Also...your work never ceases to amaze me

12. CadillacETC1997

yea i agree with azn on that

13. forbidden

forbidden Full Member

That is a far from accurate statement. Aznboi knows this as well. To make this an accurate statement insert the following. An amp makes the same amount of power at minimum or maximum gain and regardless of where the boost is set. Turning a gain down does not lower the output (in watts) of the amp. Increasing the resistance (in ohms) does. Too much power is a absolute bloody killer of subs. If the sub that you choose, hooked up to the larger amp that you have, cannot dissipate the heat generated by the power output of the amp, you are going to go through speakers. Break the thermal barrier on any subwoofer and it will fail. So too large an amp on too small a sub = recipe for disaster.

Yes I agree that purchasing the right amp for the future task (a second sub for example) is a good idea, remember though that the sub or subs still must be matched properly. A speaker, any speaker, can play all day long with as little or as much power as you can feed it, provided that the thermal barrier is not broken.

14. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

I third that about rangers pics. Good work.

Is there a way to put a limit on how much power you can let your amp put out? Kind of like a governor on some engines.

15. forbidden

forbidden Full Member

Yup, it is called learning where the redline on the amp is, the same as a redline on a engine and stay below it. Use the volume control in moderation and realize that the longer something is played, the more heat there will be generated and the sooner it will either melt, smoke or go into protection.

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Hello forbidden....nice to see you here

17. forbidden

forbidden Full Member

I have been here for awhile, I sometimes just enjoy lurking in the shadows.

18. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

But there isnt some device you can put on the wire to block out any more power over a certain point?

19. forbidden

forbidden Full Member

Nope, the best thing you can do is learn the capabilites and limitations of your system.

20. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Lol ahh icic...you sure your lurking the shadows or just spending more time over that the volt? lol