2 Amps or 1?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by runner4life, Jul 27, 2010.

1. runner4life

runner4life Member

Hi all. Im currently upgrading my 2001 Hyundai Grandeur with a new sound system.

Currently i have a pair of 6x9 Kicker KS6930s running off the stock deck. (100rms) each (installed)

I have a pair of kicker KS50.2 to install in my doors. (65rms each) (not installed)

I have a pioneer AV head unit 3150 something rather. (not installed)

and i also have ZKC44 wiring which is 4AWG and 4 channel. (not installed)

I have a pair of 2 x 12 Kicker comps at 150RMS each so 300 all up and a ZX300.1 amp running the subs. (not installed)

I'm going to sell the 2 x 12s and get Kicker 2 x 12s compVR aluminized 400rms each. Obviously i need a new amp for them. But would i need a new amp to run the speakers or could i use my existing ZX300.1?

Or should i buy a big mo fo of an amp and run everything off that? What ever will make my car sound the best.

Cheers

2. runner4life

runner4life Member

Can someone please help ive booked the installer for next monday. No point looking at the page and not commenting. haha

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

You'll need another amp to run the speakers. You'll need a multi-channel to run the speakers and a mono block for the subs or you could get a 5 channel amp since they have a mix of speaker channels with a sub channel.

You need to do it like that so that you have a HP Filter for the speakers and a LP Filter for the subs. I don't think the ZX300.1 has a built in HP and even if it did wiring 4 speakers to a single channel would be a pain in the ass or may not work (depending on power handling, impedance, etc.)

4. runner4life

runner4life Member

Awesome thanks. Out of the kicker products. What would you recommend. Im a bit of a noob but im starting to get my head around things now.

The rears are 100rms...so that makes 200 and the splits are 65 so that makes 230rms for all the speakers. so id get a 300watt multichannel amp?

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

get whatever kicker amp that has closer to 100 x 4. not too familiar with what kicker has these days.

you could find a 700.5 that would power your whole system and just have one amp. unless you want more than 420 watts from the sub out.