2 15's 0r 4 10'

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by chevan98, May 19, 2010.

1. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

Ok, I'm in he process of putting a system in my hightop chevy van. I have two JL J 2's amps. Each amp is 1000/1 at 1 ohms, 700 at 2, and 400 at 4 ohms. I want to run a two ohm load at 1400 RMS. The problem is I can't decide on my subwoofer setup. Obviously space is not an isssue and there is a ton of air space, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. I would think a system would be louder in a van. Alright here is the first setup: Four tens. Each sub would have 500 to 600 Rms, and I would be pushing 350 to each sub. Custom built box. Second setup: 2 15's with a 1000 RMS power rating or so pushing 700 watts to each sub,also in a custom box. I will be sound proofing about 60% of van. I would think the four tens would be louder because of the additional surface area, but maybe if I get the right 15's it wouldn't matter. Please help me!!!!!!! Anyone ever put a system in a conversion van?

2. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Well a buddy of mine had 2 American Bass HD 15's in an Aztek on an American Bass 150.1 and it was pretty loud I think he did a 145.6 on the termlab, then he got rid of them and just put in 4 American Bass 10's (can't remember the exact model) on the same amp in a ported box and the 2 15's was a lot louder.. but I know that all of this could vary with the different brands, and it's mainly all in the box design as everyone else on here will tell you.
    What brand of subs are you wanting to get?

3. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

I'm thinking about getting 4 10 JL W3's, maybe a couple of kicker 15's. I was also thinking about Alpine type x or r. I'm leaning more towards the W3. I already have the J2 amps, and I heard they work well with the W3's. Either way I go I'm having the box professionaly built to exact specs.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

go dc audio...two lvl 4 15s should do the trick :)

5. Khayman

Khayman Full Member

2 - 15's will have more cone space (~350 square inches) then 4 - 10's (~315 square inches). Not sure how that translates into power and quality, but the 15's will have more surface area.

6. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Well whatever you decide to go with build the box yourself man, you'd save a lot of money and I'm sure that you would be happier with it than if you had someone else build it for you..

7. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

Ok, so I didn't understand what surface area meant. I would build my own box if I could determine the exact specifications. I know subs require a specific cubic feet, but is that exact. I was told by a "professional" that you have to run a sound analysis on your specific vehicle. This involves a computer program. Yea I know those guys are just trying to make money. I do have a large van which might require a larger box or something. I would much rather do It myself. As long as it's done right. I'm pretty good working with wood, so building the box I think would be pretty easy. I just think the carpeting wouild be a little more difficult. I guess I could get a book to start! Thanks for the input!

8. eviling

eviling Full Member

you'll have better sound with the 4 10's, and more bass in theroy, because the coans have less resistance, so better sound, and more acuate, and so much suface area being pushed = power, so idk i'd think 4 10's would sound good.

as far as getting the boxes the right size and tuning...you don;'t need to get to into it...just google the subs you pick and find out what others have done. i'd say for sealed for a 12, is usialy 1.2-1.5, idk wht for a 15, the displacment of a 12" is about .11 CF, and the displacment for a 15 is like .2 or something like that, it's all dpendent on the sub of course, these are things to be considered in the size of the box, it is to be taken out of the total number you have.

i have a 1.48 box on my 12 polk sr 124 dvc, and i have a displacment of .11, so do the math and thats how much space the sub has, whitch is right in the recommender size whitch is between 1.2-1.5

the discritpion of the suface area of the sub is pretty much what it sounds like..imagine a 10x10" peice of paper, you wave it, it moves more air than a 5x5" sheet, but the 5x5" has far less resistance, whith gives makes it more ideal for hitting sharper notes. larger, better with lower notes, also to be considred is the frequency response time. genraly 28-100 mhz sub will be for thump, like the L7 from kicker 12" has a frequency response of 28-110 i believe, where as my polk SR has somehting like 28-250 mhz range. this is a large clue into what the sub is designed for, the L7 will thump like you wouldn't believe,but will have a muffled tunnel sound, where as the polk SR 124 will have a sharp thump, that isn't as powerfull but cleaner, and blends better with mids.

8" sub drivers = for spacific mid range\low notes
    10" sub driver = sharp lows, with very little thump
    12" sub driver = slower strikes, with larger thump, but still not to much resistance
    15" sub driver = genraly for pure thump, you won't find many this large that are ment for SQ.

for box types, ported will have add tunnel noise and will be the most efficiant while not loosing any quality, bandpass will be the most efficiant, but you loose alot of quality because your bouncing the sound waves all around, and sealed enclosures are the smallest, and offer the cleanest notes, but again, with the right tuning, you can get the same out of a ported box that you can with a sealed box. but it's much harder.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  9. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

dude... ive had 15s and 10s and 12s.... 10 are no more faster than the 15s. its all on the box. and what kind of setup youre running. my brother had mtx 9500 15s and it was killer on SQ for rock and anything you threw at them and to add to the cake they were in a 4th order bandpass... thats for you evi... id go out of the norm... with something dc audio, fi audio... sundown just to show ppl up. id go simple with 2 15s for wiring and box dimension purposes...

10. eviling

eviling Full Member

heh...you really honestly believe a 15 can hit every note a 10" can hit as clean? physics just woudln't allow such a thing..or they woudln't bother making different sized subs...idk what your friend did, but it wasn't a standard SQ set up. thats the problem with car audio "well my buddy did this, and it sounded AWSOME! " isn't a true tested logical theory. in fact, you most likly only would know barley anything your friend might of done to get to these results..not to say this is your exact situation but it is a very common problem in car audio, it's how people end up doing stupid **** and wasting money.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  11. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

not my buddy... MY BROTHER. weve done sealed... free air/IB... ported... bandpass with all the different sizes makes and models of subs... in different vehicles. with proper power and enclosure anything is possible.

12. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

I always thought the airspace in your vehicle would play a role in box size. So basically as long as I go with the manufactures specifications I'm good. Can I do any dimensions I want as long as the airspace in the box is right? If I did build my own box I would probably go with a sealed enclosure. From what I understand I would just have to get the box dimentions correct, plus building the box would be easier. Building the box would be fun I just despise doing any type of carpet work. Are there any other options for a box. Maybe something I could spray on they box for a textured effect? As far as the subs go I'm going to go with the W3v3's. They work well in small enclosures, they are efficent, and from what I've read they are good SQ and SPL subs. Which is what I want the best of both worlds. I'll be pushing 350watts to each sub x 4. I'm sure I will be plenty happy with that!

13. eviling

eviling Full Member

heh, with some puddy fill to cover screw holes, and a some sand paper you can just spray paint it or paint it, it's all dependent on the time you want to put into it.

as far as space.. subs aren't very tricky to get right, long as your box is good, the area becomes almost irelevent unless your dealing with something like a tiny coup or something, your case, makes no diference, you just need a x amount of space for the sound waves to full extrand and reverberate, whitch isn't hard since the sounds waves are so long they can go anywhere for quite a distance. and they show little distortion, whitch is why you can put a sub in your trunk. where as a 3" driver in a 3 way system, will pick up your most importent freuqncys, which ours ears are EXTREMELY sensitive to, whitch is why placment on mid range on a 3 way is so impotent. our ears hear the lows the same no matter where they come from, long as they're in a resonble distance. and not over bearing or to weak, can't over power your pseakers or be over powered by your speakers, you want everything to balance nicely. but it sounds to me like your just trying to go big, whitch is perfectly fine, just try and keep a balance or you'll end up with a ****ty system, you can't go big in one department and expect it to pull everything else along with it.

14. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

I just got a set of JL C5 650's for the front doors with flush mount tweeters. Dynomat in the doors. I plan on putting four JL C2's in rear hightop area. I'm going to dismantle as much of the interior as pratically possible, and dynomat everything I can. I'm probably going to get the JLXD 6 channel amp for mids and highs. I'm upgrading alternator and putting in auxillary battery. I already have 2 J2's 1000/1's a.k.a TMA's for the subs. I'm putting all top of the line wiring and everything. This system is going to take about two years to complete because I plan on doing all the work myself and I want it done right. It took me six years to complete my home theater and lots I'm defenintly not going to take any short cuts. Still have a ton of s#@t to learn before I just slap some junk together. Yes it's a van

15. eviling

eviling Full Member

heh shoudln't take 2 years to do all that, i could do most of that with a case of beer and a 3 day weekend :p

your set up sounds pretty good, those sub's should sound awsome, and those speakers are nice, but if i were going big i woudln't of went one up and got the ZR650-CSi's. especily since'; they're the front stage, and you'll be hearing most of your highs from them. I'd put 2 8's in the rear over those c2's.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13228_JL+Audio+8W3V3-4.html

could put a alpine PDX 4.150, bridged to 2 channels, at 300 rms each side. :D and be rocking the mid range hardcore. tehe

16. chevan98

chevan98 Full Member

It will take me about two years as far as having the funds to get everything done. In the mean time I'll be learning as much as possible so when I do the work I don't f!@k nothing up. As far as the rear speakers go there are already 2 set of factory 6 .5 so I figured the c2's would be cost effective and sound good. They are less than 200 a pair vs 500 for the c5. Plus I heard them side by side at the store and the C2's sounded pretty close. What I should do is get another set of C5 components for the middle speakers that way I can angle the tweeters towards the front. If It comes down to it I can add two more if I want to.

17. eviling

eviling Full Member

don't put 2 ways in the rear, i did it. just not worth it.

18. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

I would like to add to this discussion. Not thread jacking... Eviling, jay knows his stuff. I also agree with him. It's ALL in the enclosure. I have heard 18s play rock and hit every note accurately. I have also heard 10s hit a 143 @ 29Hz and sound really nice and clean doing it. You believe what you want but all of us here have had this discussion before, discussed our experiences, and decided it is all in the box.

19. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

oh and I wouldn't angle tweets towards the front. Think of a concert. You have sound coming from in front of you and that's the way it should be. In the rear you just want fill. That is so you feel engulfed by the sound. You don't want to overpower the front, instead just add to it and surround yourself. Look for a set of coaxials that have a tad lower sensitivity or turn your gain down on that channel. You don't need components in the rear though. Save your money there and add to your front stage where it really matters.

20. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Where are the woofers going to be mounted, just sitting on a seat in a box or mounted in a hole in the side of the van? You are right about the space inside the vehicle changing the sound, (transfer function) Also where you have the woofers, sealed in a trunk, in a hatchback bouncing them off the back window, in the back of a suv, facing foreward or backward. You can take a awesomwe system from 1 car and install it in another and it will sound crappy. You didnt mention 3 12's, just had to throw that in there.