2/0 Grommets?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by nismo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. nismo

nismo Full Member

i cant find 2/0 grommets anywhere, and i need to buy some. i tried the HUGE hard plastic PG grommets, but my wire just wont fit through.

any place i can get some good quality ones? id rather not use the snap in if at all possible.

eric

2. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Did you check Lowes and Home Depot?

They have HUGE 4/0 guage there and they might have big grommets....

Check in the pumbling section for rubber seals and such for piping.

BTW that's big ass wire... what's if for? An electric car :p

3. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Just drill a bigger hole and then cover the edges with either silicone or hot glue. Then stick wire through and seal it up with the same.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I've installed several 1/0 kits - and I still have yet to need to drill my own hole through the firewall.

Generally, there's one of two things available to you if you look hard enough:
    1) an empty gasket plugging a hole that goes through the firewall
    2) an oversized gasket, facilitating a run of some wire harness or hose through the firewall, that has enough extra "meat" surrounding the wires to allow the run of a large power wire also.

I keep a very sharp, very long, slender woodworker's chisel handy, for starting and cutting my holes through these gaskets.

Drilling = bare metal = risk of rust = bad, IMO. ;)

5. texcon

texcon Full Member

I agree with geo about the rubber grommets/gaskets already available - in my car there is a rubber gasket for wires to run from the engine bay to the cabin and I just went through the outer edge of this gasket to run my power wire. I simply taped one end of the power wire to a fiberglass rod (a dowel would suffice) and poked it through the hole and then pulled the wire through. No need to drill any holes!

6. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Thats definately the way to go if you can. Luckily thats all I had to do for my car :)

7. nismo

nismo Full Member

not an option here unfortunately...i REALLY need a grommet. i need to come through my s10's sheetmetal, because anything over 4 awg sticks up and messes up the carpet. im running the wire along the frame until the back of the cab, and there are no openings in that area to come through.

eric

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Use a small piece of heater hose... 5/8 or so should be ideal for 2/0 Ga. After installing it, use Permatex Ultra Black form a gasket around the hose, and on the body as a seal. When you get the wire run, add some in the grommet to create a complete waterproof seal.

The ultra black does not smell like amonia, and is more of a dark grey. Anyways, that amonia smell is the curing agent, and it will begin corrosion (ever see the blue snot on a thermostat housing that is all pitted and corroded? That is the curing agent doing that ;) ). The Ultra uses a non-corrosive curing agent. We don't want rust in Nizzys new ride ;)

Hey, my Napa guy will be in on thursday with those stickers. I'll drop them in the mail friday on my way to the bank :yes:

9. nismo

nismo Full Member

unfortunately, my truck is already starting to rust. it went from rust free to having a hole in the rear cab corner inside of a week. i mean i know the stuff behind it was rusting, but it went from not-visible to a hole i could stick my finger into very quickly...and it really concerns me. the truck is 7 yrs old and rusting...my audi was 2x that age when it started showing rust, and it was only in the wheelwells. :(

i gotta get it fixed soon so it doesnt get worse, but im in hock 5300 bux at the moment.

eric

10. oioismitty

oioismitty Full Member

Audis are galvanized. American cars are rust-buckets (I have a dodge).

Sorry i have nothing useful to say :blowup:

11. nismo

nismo Full Member

my 82 was not galvanized. they galvanized the type 44's (5000/100/200) as of 1984, but the type 81/85 (4000--aka my car) were not galvanized, until they switched to the type 89 in 1988 and changed the moniker of the 4000 to reflect the european names...ie 80 and 90.

much useless information for you :)

eric

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Perhaps the truck knew you were looking for a way to get a wire in through the rear of the cab, and it said "Hey man, I like this guy a lot... I'll just conveniently rust out a cab corner, and voila! One wiring path for the guy."

Problem solved? :lol:

13. nismo

nismo Full Member

well, it had the will to do so, but apparently wasnt smart enough to find the RIGHT place :p

eric

14. TheSSG

TheSSG Full Member

Yeah, German Cars are very rust-resistant. The Germans are pretty gung-ho against Rust. Unlike in the States here, I guess in DE if your car is a rustbucket, it can't be on the road. Great way for an AMerican to pick up a decent German Car cheap :), though the Importing will make it quite a hefty sum. My '90 VW even has a wax on the inside of all the panels, where ever there is a chance for exposure to air. If the dumb girl who was the previous owner had taken better care of it, It wouldn't have so much rust... My Mom's new Beetle has a 10-year-no-rust-guarantee. VW is hardcore anti-rust. I know some(if not all) the Bugs were galvanized. If not Galvanized, I bet your Audi has something else for rust prevention, i.e. some kind of coating...

Yet another reason Deutsche Autos sind am besten...

15. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

If my wife's beetle was a 5-speed, I'd want to keep it when she buys her Scion...
    I want to lift it up, and do a little body-modding to the bumpers... make it a new-school/old-school "Baja Bug" B)