12 inch sub, crappy box vs. 110 volt wall outlet

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by aznboi3644, Apr 2, 2007.

1. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Today was bored and got a free really crappy sub on friday so I decided to have some fun.

The sub is a really old Rockford Fosgate Fanatic 12 inch sub 8 ohms and rated at 100 watts RMS!!!

The sub was in pretty bad shape...the surround was disconnected from the rim of the frame in a couple places...about a 4 inch long slit and a 2 inch long slit...nothing some bathroom adhesive caulk couldn't fix...I'll take some pics later.

Box is a crappy 1 cu ft ported box tuned to 30 Hz with a 3 inch round port. I threw it together cuz I was bored and had some scrap wood...it is solid though...stuffed it to hell with polyfill I took from a really old set of Infinity home speaker sets.

From using ohms law the sub is seeing about 1500 watts rms plugged into the wall.

First I had the enclosure sitting in the middle of my garage....did three 3 second burps...it was pretty loud for a crappy sub in a crappy box and 1500 watts...it rattled the hell outta my garage door and you could feel the 60Hz tone in your chest...by now the dustcap was getting hot

Then my friend came over and I said lets put this in your trunk and see how it sounds...the sub faced up and port was back...first I did a couple 3 second burps...it was pretty loud for a POS sub and POS box. Didn't hurt your ears or anything but was a good chest pounder. Then I held it at full 1500 watts rms for about another 10 seconds until it died and sputtered...I was really shocked that it lasted even this long.

There is the story of part of my day haha

This boredom fun makes me wanna build a burp box with a crappy sub...have it metered while plugged into a wall socket haha

2. DaveDSMer

DaveDSMer Full Member

lol i thought for sure i was about to see a vid of a sub catching fire.

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I should have taken a video of one of my subs catching fire...it was an old 12 incher out of one of the Infinity stacks..there was no foam surround because it rotted away.

So I layed it in my first box I've ever built...yes I still have my first box and am damn proud of it...it is the box that is held together with Elmers School glue and thats it.

Well wired it up to the wall socket and damn that bitch was loud as fawk...then just held it there with power and it caught fire so I pulled that bitch out and the plastic cone melted from the former...it was cool

I am ****ed now that I didn't take any pictures or vids...I'll try to get a vid of my EHQS 12 that is screwed up wired into the wall socket tomorrow....only if my gf lets me borrow her camera again lol

4. DREAMZmustang

DREAMZmustang Full Member

lol you must have been really bored

5. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

yeah come on. I opened this thread to see pics of an exploding sub.

6. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Plug it into an inverter that has a square wave form!!!!!That oughta light er up!

Also get some old factory heads and amps, put them in a bucket of water when they are wired up!!! see which one lasts the longest!

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Hell for an 100 watt rms sub it handled the power pretty well....never even bottomed out

8. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

At 60 Hz, it probably wont bottom out. Try that kind of power one octave lower and see what happens!!

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah 30Hz would prolly rip it to shreds!!!!