'07 Tundra setup (kinda long)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by nvdtundra, Aug 4, 2007.

1. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

Hello everyone! Name is Ken and I've been lurking around for a few days...lots of great info. I'm a do it yourselfer, some experience with car audio but not a ton. I have a few questions I wasn't able to find using the search function. I bought a 2007 Toyota Tundra double cab without the factory JBL navigation system. I'm sure many people dont have too much experience with the new re-design (yet)..so here is the stock set up: 1 1/2" (approx) tweeters in the dash near the a-pillar, 6x9s in the front doors, and 6.5s in the rear doors. There is also a spot for a 4" (again approx) center channel in the dash....which comes with the JBL system...I haven't decided if i should add a speaker or not.

I am still finishing college so I plan to do this in three phases, 1- head unit, 2-speakers/amps, then 3- sub(s) (amp if needed). Sub(s) last b/c I have a box I built for my ranger with 2 12inch RF subs with a RF mono (400 watt) amp that will get me through...can only use one seat out of 3 in the back but that doesn't bother me right now. The speakers I chose are only my initial thoughts as these are the ones I have heard and liked...as I hear more, they may change. Also, the doors do not have a whole lot of mounting depth so my options are limited. Amps are up for debate, I like RF amps and have had good experiences with them, but I'm open to other options. I like hard hitting subs with good sound quality, if it helps.

Phase 1 - Head Unit
    Pioneer Avic-D3 with the ipod interface. I choose this HU b/c its easy to use (imo), color adjustabilty, colors match my dash, number of add ons I can do in the future (bluetooth, additional screens, etc), nav is more than enough for how much I will use it, and of course the fairly easy hack mod helps (yes I understand the issues of video playing while your driving - I dont want to argue them).

Phase 2 - Speakers/Amps
    Fronts - RF P450.4 amp to power: Kicker KS13 1/2" tweeters and Polk Audio db6500 6 1/2" components.
    Rear - RF P200-2 amp to power: Polk Audio db5250 5 1/4" components.

Is this the best way to set up a 6 speaker system or should I look into something else? Is it a good idea to add the center channel? If so, how could I make this happen?

Phase 3 - Subs/Amp
    This may be the most difficult part, building a box with shallow mount or smaller subs with enough air space. Keep in mind that I like the tone of my 2 down firing 12" RF subs, I really hate the sound of most subs that fire up. I want to use the back seat, so the box will have to go under it. There is not enough room behind the seat and I plan to use the space for a wall for all the crossovers, the amps, block, or anything else I may need. Here are my rough measurments for the box: 52" long, 5 1/4" high in back, 6" high in the front, and will be 16" deep. ***A little room will be lost to the off of center seat mount (approx 3" wide by 6" long or so at the back will be lost)*** I am working on getting a drawing together for a visual for you, will probably alot more :).

What are the best options for this amount of space? If I have to go with three or four 8s/10s or just one more expensive sub, doesn't matter to me. I would assume porting the box is out due to the amound of space, correct?

Overall, how do you think this setup will perform? Suggestions for things I should add, remove, or change are much appreciated!!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance!

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you could run all 6 speakers off of the 4 ch amp.and use the 2ch for the center.

how about some 6.5s for bass.4 should sound nice.those are usually pretty shallow.

i'm going by this guys discription.......
    Firebird - Speaker Building Project at Parts Express

i'm thinking of doing 2 6.5's in my hatch for when i go on trips.to maximize my hatch space.my 10in takes up at least 2/3rd's of my hatch now.

4. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

Thank you for the responses!! I have decided to move into phase 1 :D I ordered the D3 from Sonic Electronics through ebay for $709 with $27shipping, included is a flat black dash kit and the wiring harness, plus a 1 year warrenty through them. I also ordered a gloss black dash kit from Scosche that will match my dash perfectly. D3 should be here in the morning...can't wait!!!!! Still trying to decide how to set up the speakers...I'll wait til I pay off the D3 first...then worry about it.

ken

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

nice.pics when done?

6. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

Of course!! I just got off the phone after complaining about the dash kit and wiring harness not being sent. Now I will have to wait until next Friday/Sat. to put it in :( As soon as its in, I will post some pics!

ken

7. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

Well everything arrived and I installed the D3 last night!! I had to get going last night so I quickly finished and I didn't get pics til today. They were taken at mid day today, so the glare looks really bad through the digi...it definetely does not do the D3 justice!!! I'm going to get some taken at night...should look a lil better. here they are!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I still have to run the gps antenna to the roof and re-run the ipod cable, again it was getting late so i put them in a temporary spot for now. i also wanted to make sure i did everything right...soooo many wires and then the "hack" mod. this thing is friggen awesome!!! more pics soon!

ken