07 Tundra box

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by nvdtundra, Jun 24, 2008.

1. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

It was bound to happen, I've been running a pair of RF punch subs of a mono RF150 amp for 9 years...the subs finally blew up the other nt. Guess I got my $120 out of them :lol: Anyway, I am tryin to design and build a box that will fit under the seat in my double cab Tundra. I have attached a rough design I came up with but was having trouble with the airspace calculations. Obviously I am no artist so this was the best I could do. I have only built a few boxes, i didn't take bracing into consideration either (all measurements would be the outside of the box). I prefer the sound of a sub that fires down, plan to have the subs as far forward as possible, was hoping to get the most bass possible while being able to have 3 ppl in the back. I planned to use 1/2 inch mdf to hopefully secure more air space. I am looking at getting something similar to the Kicker CVT 12s and their 750.1 amp...I am not loyal to any sub, so please let me know if their is something else i should look into.

Would any one be willing to run the numbers for me? Just want to make sure its enough space for the subs. I calculated about 2.25 but would have to back out bracing, the divider for the two chambers, and displacement of the subs. The question may be, is this the best design for the space I have?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I get 1.8 cu ft, inside volume. I am assuming that 3/4 MDF is being used

3. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

he said above he planned on using 1/2" but i would say if u can get 1.8 with 3/4" i would do that cause 1/2 is harder to put screws into without the mdf splitting.

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I must learn to read, but I also agree with you, 3/4-inch is much easier to work with then 1/2-inch

5. nvdtundra

nvdtundra Full Member

Thanks for the help guys! A friend of a friend is an installer at a local stereo shop and built the box for me. Obviously, this will not win any competitions. However, it has surpassed (by far) my original goal of deep bass with great sound quality. This set up hits hard, yet not overpowering enough to where I cannot hear the music or vocals clearly...plus those prying eyes cannot see anything through the windows! Anyways, onto the pics!

Amp kit (Kicker 0/1 gauge to distribution block, 4 gauge power/ground to/from amps)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amp for the mids and highs (Alpine PDX 4.100):
    [​IMG]

Fronts (6.5" Polk Audio db6501s in the front doors)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dash tweeters, crossovers for the fronts are in the kick panels
    [​IMG]

Rears (5.25" Polk Audio db5251s, even at full volume the tweeters didn't kill my ears when I sat next to them...good luck passengers :D):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Startegic placement of the crossovers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Box (Two 10" JL Audio W1v2s, almost 2 cubic ft and port is tuned to 32hz):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amp for the subs (Alpine PDX 1.600):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We glued some 3/4" MDF under the carpet, plus plastic spacers on top of the carpet to keep the amps high enough to allow use of the air vents while securing them to the floor.

Enjoy! I know I will :nod:

Ken