02 Lincoln Ls 300 amp Alternator

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by nortyhat, Dec 14, 2006.

1. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

does anyone know where i could purchase a bigger alternator for my 2002 lincoln ls car. im about to put a high end system in my car so i want to put one in.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

IF you got the cash........look up a Lestek.

3. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

ok is there a site to get this from, im not worried about the money.

4. TheViking

Click on automotive in the bottom right

http://www.americanarmature.com/

You WILL pay for them....but they are the BEST in my opinion. I have used them since the early 90's.........but has been years since I have messed with them...........look like a good quality product still to this day. Stay away from the off brands and anything painted real pretty like......they are usually a joke. I can personally make any alternator do 20-24 volts at 200 amps.........and look real good doing it, while it is cold, when the it only has to do it for a minute and when you are wanting an alternator...........Long term reliability is the issue here......you want stable reliable current for years to come, get a Lestek, you want something that looks pretty and lasts 2 months, buy a freekin modified GM large case or ford alternator that has been rewound by some chinese place or even by some cooter in the hills.........

This is the facts son........i have dealt with alternators for many years........

5. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

dude
    just pull yours take it to a shop and have them beef it up

6. TheViking

WRONG!!!!!!!!!! (sorry caddy)

Most shops just rebuild them to factory specs or slightly above..........I have YET to see ANY shop make a true HO alternator that does worth a crap from idle on up, for ANY length of time.......Besides, the factory regulator is half the problem, the energization of it aint wrth a damm at low speeds......

I can make an ol dodge alternator do 50 amps at 800 RPM all day every day, its all in the regulation..............

7. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

hey thanks viking i appreciate the honesty. im going to go look right now. but do they make 200-300 amp alt for lincoln ls im asking because everything is like customized for lincoln ls. i sort of hate this car because of that.

8. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

hey another question do i have to worry about the largeness of the alternator like is it going to fit exactly like the stock if its any bigger? and the site u gave me is only showing 1 alt and thats 60943 small 6G alt 180 amps. is that good?

9. TheViking

Sorry norty, dont know much about your car............

if you get an honest 180 amps from your alternator that you buy, that is kick ass.....

Norty, post what it is you are putting in your car amplifier wise.......and what are your intentions, casual listening with a few songs cranked up to almost clipping now and then or are you one who goes BOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOM all freekin night like a moron?

10. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

im putting about 5000 watts in my car, of stereo equipment. so i thought to get a powerful one. i have to find out what amps my stock alt have.

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Norty...is that 5000 watts a realistic number or a MAX/PEAK number...because with 5000 REAL watts RMS you'll need two or three HO alternators and additional batteries

12. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

lol my poor ears! or his i should say, that must be peak wattage

13. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

hey viking so you saying that if i get 180 amps then ill be good with a 4000 to 5000 watts system?

14. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

sorry its 2 jl audio 12w7 2 1000/1 jl audio amps 1 300/4 jl audio amp jl audio xr 2 sets of components. 2 headrest monitors.

15. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

thats a solid 2300 watts.ouch!lot's o power.lol

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yes so that 5000 watts is a peak number....which means absolutely nothing in real car audio

17. TheViking

If you can limit your "high volume" to a song or two, then a second battery may be the way to go. Along with the other upgrades as posted in the stickies on the car electrical sytem section.

Oh, and up[grading to the 180 amp alt. would be a WISE choice. Just add up the amperage from the fuses on all your amps.....thats the number of amps you will be drawing on hard peaks (close enough anyway), then of course factor in the car itseld and what it draws......

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  18. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

ok thanks so i just need to put a second battery upgrade my alt to 180 and no capacitors?

19. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

correct...

20. nortyhat

nortyhat Full Member

hey i called lestek and they said that they dont have a alternator for my car. i need one for a ls v8 3.9 and they only have 4.6. but he told me to just get a custom built one and have them run a 2 gauge wire with a 2 gauge ground and he said it wouldnt overheat?